Tuesday 30 September 2008

Settling in

On Monday morning we had yet another 5.30am wake up call from Little Miss Inko which is not a nice time to wake up!! It's difficult to get her to be quiet enough before opening up the crate door so she learns that she doesn't get let out when she's making a fuss. It was pretty much a case of waiting till she paused to take a breath and then quickly whipping the door open while there was temporarily no noise!!

On Monday morning Inko had her first visits to the vets for a puppy check-up and to have her first jabs. To try and get her used to her lead I popped this on to go out, even though she would be carried. I then took it off as I put her in her car crate so she gets used to that too. She was an angel once again in the car not making a sound all the way there while sat in her crate. When we got there I popped her lead back on and then when I picked her up and got out the car to go into the vets she didn't make a fuss but I think she was a bit anxious because I could feel her snuggling in tight in my arms. She was a big hit with the receptionists who made a nice fuss of her over the counter.

The vet seemed to be a fan too and had a good cuddle. She was so well behaved in there, not making a fuss at all when being checked over - the vet was really pleased with her condition. Then he weighed her - 3.8kg. She thought the weighing scales were quite a nice toy to chew and when she was taken off of them she lay down looking very sweet and innocent, sneakily chewing the side of the scales with the corner of her mouth!!! When she had her jab she didn't even flinch - such a brave girl! She was going to be micro chipped as well, but the vet said he prefers to do this on the second visit so that the puppy's first visit to the vets isn't a frightening experience because of a big scary needle.

When I got back from the vets I decided to set up our spare dog crate in the lounge next to the sofa so that I can pop her away to sleep during the day near to where I am and mix between near me, and away from me in her main crate. This way I can also quickly pop her away as soon as she falls asleep and then can have a quick snooze on the sofa myself!!

During the day yesterday my mum and dad came over to have another visit and so did my sister, Michelle. Inko had a great time being made a fuss of! When they had gone, and Inko was fast asleep in her crate, I decided to take my first trip out to leave her on her own for a bit. I needed to pop just down the road to pick up a prescription from the doctors so I thought that would be a good opportunity to give it a go. I felt really stressed the whole time I was out!! I was probably only out for about 15 minutes but I was worrying about her the whole time!! Need to make sure I do more of that though so that she gets used to it...and I get used to it...for when I go back to work.

When I got back we went round for a visit to my sisters house and Inko had great fun exploring a new house! She is a huge fan of squeezing into small places, especially running behind sofas (as Jo and George will testify from our night at their house on Friday!). My sister and I spent much of the time trying to stop her going behind a sofa that had a couple of wires behind it -it's amazing how quickly she manages to run to get to places she knows she's not allowed!! Managed to miss her requests for a wee and she had an accident on the floor - quite hard to spot when she is just running and squawking from excitement and when she is doing that to get my attention! Most of the times I've managed to correctly spot it!!

On the way back I knocked on both of our neighbours doors on each side to introduce them to Inko and to apologise for the noise at night and in the morning at the moment (and bought them some chocolates as an appeasement gift!). They both loved Inko and said they hadn't really heard her...I have a feeling the people living in the house attached to ours must surely have been being polite when they said that as I don't know how it can't have travelled through the walls - for a small dog she has got a very powerful set of lungs!!

I had been worrying that she wasn't eating enough as she only seems to have been picking at her food so I got my sister to pick me up some pedigree chum puppy food pouches at the shops. I didn't have any biscuits mix to put with them so I put a few bits of her dried food in with it too. She thought this food was the most yummy thing in the world ever!! She scoffed it down, even quicker than she did the scrambled egg the other night! She even kept going back to the bowl to see whether there was any more in there!! Might do this for one meal a day.

Last night Adam made sure that for the 30-45 minutes before we wanted to go to bed we played with her loads to tire her out. When she started to look sleepy we quickly took her out and then popped her into her crate for the night. We had a fair bit of howling and barking (she has quite a repertoire of sounds!) that lasted for about 20 minutes or so and then she settled down - finally!!

6.15 wake up call this morning! Much more civilised - yay!!!!!!!!!

Paula

"What? I like sitting in the middle of plants!"

Do you like our new interior design look? - it's called puppy chic!


"Helloooo!"



"Look at me, all grown up with my ID badge!"



No comments: