Friday 3 October 2008

Meeting people, ice cubes and digging

Yesterday morning, Inko was very good at being left on her own while I popped out for half an hour or so to go round to my mum and dad's to collect the new dog guard I'd ordered for the car - looked very relaxed when I came back.

Inko had some more visitors to the house yesterday. My Nan and step-grandfather came over to visit for a few hours in the morning and she was very good - even showing them her 'sit', 'down', and 'stand'.

I decided to take her out for a wander in my arms yesterday afternoon to try and meet strangers who would be willing to say hello and to give her more exposure to the noises of the world. She heard a train go under the railway bridge, lorries and cars went past, people went past on motorbikes and push bikes, and a car beeped it's horn! Took it all in her stride. I then decided to call the chiropractors which is near our house, which Adam and I have both been to so they know us there, to see if they'd mind having a puppy visitor!! They were very excited by the idea! We went in and met two receptionists who each had a cuddle, 3 patients who had a cuddle, and then one of the receptionists took her upstairs to see one of the chiropractors!! We've been told we're welcome back any time!!

Then when we got back we did a bit more clicker training (inspired by Nik's very impressive video!). I have managed to get her to sit when I am standing and cross my arms and I am getting there with 'paw'. She had great fun showing these off yesterday evening when my sister and a friend came over to see her. She even sat for my sister on request! I have decided to try and get her to sit before we go through doors so that she doesn't bolt through like a crazy thing - she seems to be getting the hang of that. I feel rather silly wandering round everywhere with my coachies treat bag attached to my jeans!!

She also had her first ice cube today and really enjoyed it. Thought it was great fun


"I quite like this weird little cold thing...it's shrinking...what's going on?!"

Something Inko has also discovered is digging!! Took a video, but from now on it's a case of me trying to discourage this!! Not really something I want her to think she's allowed to do - any tips anyone?! ~(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCTxH7DX5U) - have decided to put my bigger videos on youtube to free up storage on my blog.

Tried to follow Jo's lead with the nail clipping yesterday and we weren't quite as successful - think we timed it wrong as she started waking up - got half of one foot done!! Will try again tonight!!

This morning she slept in till 6.10 so not too bad really and was her usual manic self for about an hour and a half - she has soooo much energy in the morning!! I have found that she seems to like doing a bit of training in the morning - good way to get her to eat some of her breakfast in her excitement as she will sometimes train for kibble. I noticed lots of people walking past outside on the school run so decided to take her out to see if she could get some more cuddles. She met quite a few adults, and also lots of children and was very well behaved. She also heard a very loud car alarm this morning and didn't flinch.

When we got back I popped her into her crate and headed upstairs for two hours as part of her 'being left alone' training and she was such a good girl!! I took this as a good opportunity to catch up on some sleep and had a nap!! I think all the excitement of going out and meeting people tired her out! ....and me it would appear!!

4 comments:

Jo Ross said...

Cool video clips. Sounds like you are having a top class day.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic day! You're being very committed to all the puppy chores - well done :-) So glad she seems to be getting better at being left alone.

Terra said...

What a cutie with the icecube! Well done on the training... We ask Jedi and Ahsoka to sit before coming inside, but they must WAIT until we tell them to come in. We always go through the door first. Eventually you won't even need to give the command.

With the digging - I don't know if this is something you could do in your yard, but we have a sandpit for them (in a plastic swimming pool/clam shell). They LOVE IT and know that this is the only place they are allowed to dig. So if she is digging in the garden, pick her up and put her in the sandpit and when she starts digging there, praise! :) She'll get the idea soon enough. We also hide things in the sandpit for them to find - treats, toys, etc... And in Ahsoka's case, lots of leaves! She loves digging for leaves!

Paula said...

Thanks Nik - a sand pit is an excellent idea! Will have to go and do some shopping today!! Like Ahsoka, Inko is a big fan of leaves! The other day I threw a toy for her to fetch in the garden and she brought me back a leaf!!!!